According to Timedictionary, Buchanan Dam, Texas is a small city located in the heart of the Texas Hill Country. The geography of the area is characterized by rolling hills and winding creeks, making it an ideal spot for recreational activities such as fishing, camping, and hiking. In terms of climate, Buchanan Dam enjoys hot summers and mild winters with occasional snowfall.
The history of Buchanan Dam dates back to the early 19th century when it was originally settled by German immigrants. Since then, the city has grown steadily and today serves as an important center for commerce in Central Texas. Politically, Buchanan Dam is part of Burnet County and its citizens are served by a nonpartisan mayor-council form of government.
The economy of Buchanan Dam is largely based on agriculture and tourism. The city has several large farms that specialize in growing cotton, hay, corn, wheat and other crops while also providing jobs to many local residents. Additionally, there are numerous tourist attractions in the area including Lake Buchanan which offers fishing, swimming and boating as well as nearby parks such as Enchanted Rock State Park which is popular with hikers and campers alike.
In terms of education, Buchanan Dam has two primary schools: an elementary school for grades K-4th grade and a middle school for grades 5th-8th grade. Both schools offer quality education programs that focus on preparing students for college or other career paths after graduation. Additionally, there are several private schools located in nearby towns that provide further educational opportunities to local residents.
Finally, some notable landmarks in Buchanan Dam include the historic downtown square which features several old businesses such as antique stores and restaurants; the Old German Church which was built in 1854; Lake Buchanan which provides ample recreational opportunities; Enchanted Rock State Park; and various other public parks throughout the city that offer outdoor activities such as picnicking or bird watching.
Males: 838 (49.6%), Females: 850 (50.4%)
Zip code: 78609
Median resident age: 55.9 years
Median household income: $32,586
Median house value: $99,600
Races in Buchanan Dam:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.5%)
- Hispanic (5.3%)
- Other race (1.5%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (15.6%), Irish (14.3%), United States (13.8%), German (13.7%), French (4.3%), Scotch-Irish (2.8%).
Elevation: 1054 feet
Land area: 7.6 square miles
Buchanan Dam, Texas is a small town located in the heart of the Texas Hill Country. With a population of just over 1,000 people, Buchanan Dam is an ideal location for those looking for a peaceful place to live. The majority of the population consists of families who have been living in the area for generations, as well as newcomers who have moved to the area in search of a slower pace of life. The town is home to several parks, including a community park with playgrounds and picnic areas. There are also numerous restaurants and shops that provide locals and visitors alike with goods and services. Additionally, there are plenty of local businesses that offer jobs and economic opportunity.
Living in Buchanan Dam is all about embracing nature and enjoying the outdoors. The nearby Lake Buchanan offers locals a great opportunity to enjoy fishing or boating activities while admiring some breathtaking views across the lake. Residents can also take advantage of hiking trails that wind through wooded areas or stroll along creekside pathways admiring local wildlife such as deer, foxes, raccoons, and birds.
Buchanan Dam is truly an idyllic place to live for those who appreciate nature’s beauty and crave simplicity in their lives. The welcoming community embraces both newcomers and longtime residents alike with warmth and hospitality making it easy to feel at home here.
For population 25 years and over in Buchanan Dam
- High school or higher: 82.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 7.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 43.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Buchanan Dam CDP
- Never married: 6.1%
- Now married: 71.4%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 9.6%
- Divorced: 10.9%
0.4% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Buchanan Dam:
- SETON HIGHLAND LAKES (about 11 miles; BURNET, TX)
- LLANO MEMORIAL HEALTHCARE SYSTEM (about 15 miles; LLANO, TX)
- ROLLINS BROOK COMMUNITY (about 28 miles; LAMPASAS, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Buchanan Dam:
- ROBERT GRAY AAF (about 49 miles; FORT HOOD/KILLEEN, TX; Abbreviation: GRK)
- KILLEEN MUNI (about 58 miles; KILLEEN, TX; Abbreviation: ILE)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 68 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Buchanan Dam:
- SUNRISE BEACH (about 13 miles; SUNRISE BEACH VILLAGE, TX; Abbreviation: 2KL)
- LLANO MUNI (about 14 miles; LLANO, TX; Abbreviation: 6R9)
- BURNET MUNI KATE CRADDOCK FIELD (about 16 miles; BURNET, TX; Abbreviation: BMQ)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Buchanan Dam:
- CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE (about 51 miles; KILLEEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,777)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN (about 60 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 46,503)
- AUSTIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 60 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 12,819)
- SAINT EDWARD’S UNIVERSITY (about 60 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,870)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY HARDIN-BAYLOR (about 71 miles; BELTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,257)
- SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; SAN MARCOS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 18,822)
- TEMPLE COLLEGE (about 80 miles; TEMPLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,054)