According to Timedictionary, De Kalb is situated in the northeast corner of Texas, and lies at the intersection of three major highways – US 82, US 259, and US 59. It has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The average annual temperature is around 65 degrees Fahrenheit and the average annual precipitation is around 37 inches.
The city has a rich history which dates back to 1846 when it was founded by settlers from De Kalb County, Georgia. The town was named after General Johann de Kalb who fought in the American Revolutionary War. Over time, De Kalb has grown and developed into a thriving community with a population of around 1,500 people.
In terms of politics, De Kalb is part of Bowie County which is represented in Congress by Republican Congressman Louie Gohmert. The city itself is governed by a mayor-council form of government with five council members representing each ward in the city. The current mayor is Brad Moore who was elected in 2019 and re-elected for a second term in 2021.
Economically speaking, De Kalb relies heavily on agriculture as its main source of income with cotton being the most popular crop grown in the area. Other agricultural products such as corn, soybeans, wheat, sorghum, tomatoes and hay are also produced here. Aside from agriculture there are also several small businesses located within the city limits such as convenience stores, restaurants and retail stores which help contribute to its economy.
De Kalb Independent School District serves the educational needs of students living in De Kalb with two elementary schools (DeKalb Elementary and Redwater Elementary) one middle school (DeKalb Middle School) and one high school (DeKalb High School). All four campuses offer various extracurricular activities such as sports teams and clubs to keep students engaged outside of class time.
In terms of landmarks there are several notable locations around town including City Hall which houses all administrative offices for local government; First Baptist Church which has been an active presence since 1851; The Depot museum which showcases artifacts related to local history; The Old Red River Bridge which was built in 1927; And finally there’s Old Mill Park which offers visitors an excellent view of the surrounding countryside along with picnic areas for families to enjoy on warm days out or special occasions like holidays or birthdays!
Population: 1,769. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,790 (+1.2% change)
Males: 784 (44.3%), Females: 985 (55.7%)
Zip code: 75559
Median resident age: 41.8 years
Median household income: $23,713
Median house value: $37,900
Races in De Kalb:
- White Non-Hispanic (65.3%)
- Black (30.8%)
- Hispanic (2.4%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Other race (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (13.3%), English (4.1%), Irish (3.6%), German (3.2%), French (2.4%), Scotch-Irish (2.3%).
Elevation: 408 feet
Land area: 1.3 square miles
De Kalb, Texas is a small town located in Bowie County, Texas with a population of 1,743 according to the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Bowie County and the home to several historic buildings and sites. The median age in De Kalb is 37.2 years, slightly higher than the national average of 37.4 years. The majority of the population (76%) identifies as White Non-Hispanic or Latino, with 21% identifying as African American or Black Non-Hispanic or Latino. The remaining 3% identified as Hispanic or Latino, Asian/Pacific Islander, Native American/Alaska Native, and other ethnicities combined.
The education level in De Kalb is slightly lower than the national average; only 14% of adults hold a bachelor’s degree or higher compared to 31% nationally. Most people (82%) have completed high school or some college, but fewer than 5% have earned an associate’s degree or higher. The median household income is $38,500 compared to $57,652 nationally; however, the poverty rate in De Kalb is lower than the national rate at 11% versus 13%. The majority of residents are employed in sales and office occupations (36%), followed by management occupations (15%) and production occupations (14%).
For population 25 years and over in De Kalb
- High school or higher: 65.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in De Kalb city
- Never married: 20.6%
- Now married: 46.8%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 20.6%
- Divorced: 9.9%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -286 (-13.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near De Kalb:
- DOCTORS HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; NEW BOSTON, TX)
- CHRISTUS ST MICHAEL HEALTH CARE CENTER (about 16 miles; TEXARKANA, TX)
- MCCURTAIN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; IDABEL, OK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to De Kalb:
- TEXARKANA REGIONAL-WEBB FIELD (about 44 miles; TEXARKANA, AR; Abbreviation: TXK)
- COX FLD (about 59 miles; PARIS, TX; Abbreviation: PRX)
- EAST TEXAS RGNL (about 78 miles; LONGVIEW, TX; Abbreviation: GGG)
Other public-use airports nearest to De Kalb:
- GREATER MORRIS COUNTY (about 28 miles; DAINGERFIELD, TX; Abbreviation: 8F5)
- CLARKSVILLE/RED RIVER CTY-J D TRISSELL FLD (about 31 miles; CLARKSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: LBR)
- IDABEL (about 31 miles; IDABEL, OK; Abbreviation: IBO)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to De Kalb:
- KILGORE COLLEGE (about 80 miles; KILGORE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,814)
- TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 87 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,872)
- BOSSIER PARISH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 91 miles; BOSSIER CITY, LA; Full-time enrollment: 2,743)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-COMMERCE (about 92 miles; COMMERCE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,998)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT TYLER (about 94 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,433)
- SOUTHERN ARKANSAS UNIVERSITY MAIN CAMPUS (about 100 miles; MAGNOLIA, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,646)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY-SHREVEPORT (about 105 miles; SHREVEPORT, LA; Full-time enrollment: 3,059)