According to transporthint.com, Diboll, Texas is located in the southeastern part of the state, just north of Lufkin. It has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The average annual temperature is 68 degrees Fahrenheit and the average annual precipitation is 42 inches.
The city was founded in 1894 by lumberman William Thomas Diboll, who established his namesake company in the area to harvest local timber resources. Since then, Diboll has become a major hub for timber production and wood product manufacturing in East Texas. It is also home to many paper mills, sawmills, and plywood plants that employ a large portion of its citizens.
The city’s politics are mostly conservative; however, it does have some progressive elements as well. The current mayor is Robert Bellinger who was elected in 2017.
The economy of Diboll is largely based on its natural resources such as timber and oil production as well as manufacturing industries like paper mills and sawmills. In addition to these industries, the city also has a thriving tourism industry that caters to outdoor enthusiasts seeking recreational activities such as fishing, hunting and camping within the nearby Angelina National Forest.
Diboll Independent School District serves the educational needs of students from kindergarten through twelfth grade with five elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school located within its boundaries. In addition to these public schools there are several private schools including St. Mary’s Catholic School which offers K-8th grade education for students from all religious backgrounds.
The most notable landmarks in Diboll include the Diboll Historical Museum which displays artifacts from early settlers such as William Thomas Diboll himself; Angelina National Forest which offers recreational activities such as fishing, hunting and camping; Lufkin Mall which houses over 60 stores; and Old Town Park which features picnic tables, playgrounds and walking trails along its scenic nature trail system perfect for families looking for an outdoor adventure close to home.
Population: 5,470. Estimated population in July 2020: 5,441 (-0.5% change)
Males: 3,119 (57.0%), Females: 2,351 (43.0%)
Zip code: 75941
Median resident age: 32.0 years
Median household income: $28,183
Median house value: $48,800
Races in Diboll:
- White Non-Hispanic (38.0%)
- Hispanic (37.3%)
- Black (24.1%)
- Other race (19.4%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (11.0%), Irish (2.2%), English (2.2%), German (2.0%).
Elevation: 230 feet
Land area: 4.8 square miles
Diboll, Texas is a small town located in Angelina County in the eastern part of the state. It has a population of 5,946 according to the 2019 U.S. Census Bureau estimate. The majority of its population are white, making up 79.2% of the population, followed by Hispanic or Latino at 14%, African American at 4.1%, and Asian at 1%.
The median household income in Diboll is $43,873 and the median age is 38 years old. About 20% of people living in Diboll are below the poverty line. The majority of residents work in manufacturing or retail trade industries; however, there are also a number of people employed in healthcare and educational services as well as construction and transportation industries. The unemployment rate for Diboll was 3% as of 2019 according to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This indicates that most people who live here have a job and are doing well financially compared with other cities in Texas.
In terms of education, Diboll has two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school that serve students from kindergarten through 12th grade respectively. The schools offer a variety of programs such as Advanced Placement classes and dual-credit courses to prepare students for college level studies or job training opportunities after graduation. In addition to this, there are also several higher education institutions located near Diboll such as Stephen F Austin State University which provides an excellent opportunity for locals seeking higher education without having to move away from home or commute long distances every day.
For population 25 years and over in Diboll
- High school or higher: 53.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Diboll city
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 62.6%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 6.2%
15.4% Foreign born (15.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +954 (+21.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Diboll:
- WOODLAND HEIGHTS MEDICAL CENTER (about 11 miles; LUFKIN, TX)
- MEMORIAL MED CENTER OF EAST TEXAS (about 13 miles; LUFKIN, TX)
- MEMORIAL SPECIALTY HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; LUFKIN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Diboll:
- EAST TEXAS RGNL (about 83 miles; LONGVIEW, TX; Abbreviation: GGG)
- TYLER POUNDS RGNL (about 91 miles; TYLER, TX; Abbreviation: TYR)
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 92 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Diboll:
- ANGELINA COUNTY (about 5 miles; LUFKIN, TX; Abbreviation: LFK)
- GROVETON-TRINITY COUNTY (about 27 miles; GROVETON, TX; Abbreviation: 33R)
- A L MANGHAM JR. REGIONAL (about 27 miles; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Abbreviation: OCH)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Diboll:
- ANGELINA COLLEGE (about 11 miles; LUFKIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,773)
- STEPHEN F AUSTIN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 38 miles; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,217)
- SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 63 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,429)
- KILGORE COLLEGE (about 83 miles; KILGORE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,814)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT TYLER (about 86 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,433)
- LAMAR UNIVERSITY-BEAUMONT (about 94 miles; BEAUMONT, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,888)
- NORTH HARRIS MONTGOMERY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 96 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,933)
Public high school in Diboll:
- DIBOLL H S (Students: 523; Location: 1000 LUMBERJACK DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Diboll:
- TEMPLE EL (Students: 549; Location: 400 ASH; Grades: PK – 05)
- DIBOLL J H (Students: 426; Location: 403 DENNIS ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- DIBOLL PRI (Students: 425; Location: 110 BALLENGER ST; Grades: PK – 01)
Library in Diboll:
- T.L.L. TEMPLE MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $229,667; Location: 300 PARK ST; 22,373 books; 802 audio materials; 709 video materials; 35 serial subscriptions)