According to Travelationary, Goree, Texas is an unincorporated community located in the central part of the state, about 100 miles northwest of Dallas. The town is situated on flat to rolling terrain and is characterized by open prairie and numerous small lakes. The climate in Goree can be described as hot and humid summers, with temperatures often reaching into the 90s during the day, and mild winters with occasional snowfall.
The history of Goree dates back to the early 1800s when it was first established as a trading post for settlers heading west. In 1876, Goree was officially incorporated as a town. Since then, it has evolved into a small but vibrant community of around 500 people.
Politically, Goree is part of Foard County and votes mainly Republican in elections. The economy in Goree is primarily agricultural-based, with much of the population employed in farming or ranching activities.
Goree is home to two schools: Goree Elementary School and Foard High School. Both schools are part of the Foard County Independent School District and provide quality education for students from pre-K through 12th grade.
The city also boasts several landmarks that attract visitors from all over Texas and beyond. One such landmark is the historic Old Jailhouse Museum which features artifacts from local pioneers dating back to the 1800s. Other attractions include a Civil War battlefield memorial park, an old-fashioned general store, and a wildlife preserve where visitors can observe native species like bobcats, coyotes, deer, foxes, hawks, owls and more.
Population: 321. Estimated population in July 2020: 288 (-10.3% change)
Males: 154 (48.0%), Females: 167 (52.0%)
Zip code: 76363
Median resident age: 35.5 years
Median household income: $25,104
Median house value: $17,300
Races in Goree:
- White Non-Hispanic (48.0%)
- Hispanic (43.3%)
- Other race (25.2%)
- Black (8.1%)
- American Indian (4.4%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (17.4%), German (5.6%), Irish (5.0%), English (2.8%), Scotch-Irish (1.2%).
Elevation: 1457 feet
Land area: 1.5 square miles
Goree, Texas is a small rural town located in northern Texas, about an hour from Wichita Falls. The population of Goree is approximately 350 people according to the 2010 census. The population is largely comprised of White Americans with some African American and Hispanic residents as well. The median age is 33 years old, slightly above the state average. Most of the residents are employed in either farming or ranching and there are several small businesses in town to provide goods and services to the locals. Education is important to many of the residents and there are two elementary schools that serve the area. There is also a community center which offers various recreational activities for children and adults alike. Overall, Goree is a peaceful, family-oriented town where neighbors look after each other and where everyone looks out for one another’s best interests.
For population 25 years and over in Goree
- High school or higher: 57.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 5.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Goree city
- Never married: 20.5%
- Now married: 59.8%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 10.4%
- Divorced: 6.8%
17.4% Foreign born (17.4% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -92 (-22.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Goree:
- SEYMOUR HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; SEYMOUR, TX)
- KNOX COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; KNOX CITY, TX)
- HASKELL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; HASKELL, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Goree:
- ABILENE REGIONAL (about 75 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: ABI)
- DYESS AFB (about 76 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: DYS)
- SHEPPARD AFB/WICHITA FALLS MUNI (about 81 miles; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Abbreviation: SPS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Goree:
- MUNDAY MUNI (about 5 miles; MUNDAY, TX; Abbreviation: 37F)
- HARRISON FIELD OF KNOX CITY (about 20 miles; KNOX CITY, TX; Abbreviation: F75)
- SEYMOUR MUNICIPAL (about 23 miles; SEYMOUR, TX; Abbreviation: 60F)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Goree:
- HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY (about 70 miles; Abilene, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,026)
- ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; ABILENE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,380)
- MIDWESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 74 miles; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,619)
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY (about 108 miles; LAWTON, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,529)
- TARLETON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 126 miles; STEPHENVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,068)
- SOUTHWESTERN OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 153 miles; WEATHERFORD, OK; Full-time enrollment: 4,360)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 160 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)