According to neovideogames, Krakow (Polish: Kraków), is a city in southern Poland, located on the upper Vistula, with (2018) 771 100 residents. Krakow is a city of science and art. There are several universities, research institutes and numerous museums. The city was heavily industrialized after the Second World War, especially with the ironworks combine in the Nowa Huta district. After the decline of the iron and steel industry, Krakow has developed into a service center with considerable tourism. The Gothic St. Mary’s Church with the St. Mary’s altar by Veit Stoss, the cathedral (consecrated in 1364), the castle and the former cloth hall are particularly worth seeing.
First mentioned in 965, Krakow was re-established in 1257 after being destroyed by the Mongols. From 1320 to the 18th century, the city was the coronation site of the Polish kings.
On the castle hill (Wawel, former royal residence) lies the main parts of the Renaissance palace complex with arcaded courtyard (1502–36), built on older remains (foundation walls of the Marian rotunda from the 10th century), later modified and expanded. In the cathedral, the coronation and burial place of the Polish kings (built 1320–64, expanded especially in the 16th / 17th centuries), numerous additions, including the Sigismund Chapel (1517–33); Tombs of kings, poets and national heroes, including that of King Casimir IV. Andrew by V. Stoss.
The center of the old town (UNESCO World Heritage Site) is the main market with a medieval town hall tower (around 1380, with a baroque hood) and extensive cloth halls (14th, 16th and 19th centuries). The St. Mary’s altar by V. Stoss belongs to the furnishings of the Gothic St. Mary’s Church (donated in 1222, largely destroyed in 1241; rebuilt 1355–1408, the chapels from the 15th / 16th centuries)(1477-89). From the original buildings of the Jagiellonian University, a Gothic brick building with an arcade courtyard (Collegium Maius, around 1500) has been preserved (today the University Museum). Other important buildings are: Franciscan monastery with early Gothic church (mid-13th century) with late Renaissance chapels and baroque furnishings; former Jesuit church of Saints Peter and Paul (1596–1619); Collegiate Church of St. Anna (1689–1703), a baroque building with a double tower facade; Palaces from the 16th to 19th centuries Century. About 35 km southwest of Krakow is the Kalwaria (Kalvarienberg) Zebrzydowska with a Cistercian monastery from the beginning of the 17th century (UNESCO World Heritage Site). The only (reconstructed) remnant of the city wall is a barbican (1489–99). J. Zawiejski built the Słowacki Theater in 1891–93. The Old Theater (1843) was changed in Art Nouveau style by F. Maczyński (* 1874, † 1947) and Tadeusz Stryjeński (* 1849, † 1943). They also built the Museum of Technology (1908–14; today part of the art academy). The National Museum was built in two phases, 1934–38 and 1969–89. The Japanese architect A. Isozaki built the modern center for Japanese art (opened in 1994).
In Stradom, former Baroque Bernardine monastery (1670–80), church with double tower facade and Rococo furnishings; Missionary monastery with church Pauli Conversion from the late Baroque (1719–28). In Kazimierz late Gothic parish church Corpus Christi (begun in the 2nd half of the 14th century) and the convent building of regulated canons (15th century); Augustinian monastery with St. Catherine Church (choir 1345–78). The Museum of Judaism is located in the old synagogue, a two-aisled building from the beginning of the 16th century, later rebuilt and renewed between 1955 and 1959. One of the most splendid streets is Kopernika Street in Wesoła with monumental clinic buildings (19th century) and several churches (17th / 18th century). An important example of early modern sacred architecture is the Jesuit church by Franciszek Maczyński (1909–21). In Mogiła a former Cistercian abbey founded in 1225 with a church begun around 1250 (facade 1779/80). Monastery building with early Gothic chapter house and library (around 1533); in Kleparz Stiftskirche St. Florian (originally 1185, Gothicized in the 15th / 16th century, later changed to Baroque style) with parts of a triptych by H. von Kulmbach(around 1516). In Wola Justowska Late Renaissance castle, which was built on older parts in the 1st half of the 17th century and renovated and modified in the 19th century. In Nowa Huta, the first socialist model town in Poland planned on the drawing board and built since the 1950s, W. Pietrzyk built the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary (1967-77). – The renovation and modernization process that began with the election of Krakow as the “European Capital of Culture” in 2000, especially of buildings in the old town, is ongoing.