Staten Island (New York, USA) — description, history, location, reviews, photos and videos.
Among the 5 boroughs of New York, Staten Island occupies a special place. Although it is the third in area, it is the last in terms of population. Its 151 square kilometers account for no more than 500 thousand inhabitants, which is very small for a metropolis. The development is dominated by low-rise buildings and condominiums, immersed in lush greenery. The impression is as if a quiet town from the American outback was simply rearranged here. But this is if you do not look into the southern part of the island, where rusty skeletons of ships still stick out of the water and abandoned paths lead to dilapidated workshops. See itypetravel for geostatistics of Ohio.
A bit of history
The first European navigator to visit New York Bay in 1524 was Giovanni Verranzano, after whom the double-deck cable-stayed bridge connecting Staten Island with Brooklyn is named. But it was not he who gave the name to the island, but Henry Hudson, when in 1609, on the instructions of the Dutch East India Company, he explored these shores and for the first time passed the Narrows Strait. In honor of the Estates General, he named the island Staten. The Dutch tried to settle here three times, but were slaughtered by the Indians. Only half a century later, it was possible to secure the territory for white people.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, there was only one city of Richmond on the island and many farms. But in 1898, Stethen Island became a Greater New York area and its northern part was turned into a giant landfill and ship graveyard. Residents tried several times to separate from the metropolis, but unsuccessfully. After the construction of the Verranzano Bridge in 1964, a new era began, the landfill was closed, land reclamation is underway, there are so many parks that the island is seriously called the “lungs of New York.”
What to watch
The best way to go to Staten Island for new experiences is to take the 24-hour free ferry from Battery Park near the South Ferry metro station. An added bonus is a great deck view of the Statue of Liberty. From the pier at St. George’s to the Verranzano Bridge, there are miles of wide beaches where New Yorkers love to come for the weekend. The only trouble is that the water is dirty – few dare to swim in it. But sunbathing and strolling along the Roosevelt wooden embankment is always a pleasure.
Not far from the bridge, you can see the gray walls of Fort Wadsworth, a once formidable fortress that protected the entrance to New York Harbor. Now there is a museum in it, a magnificent panorama of Brooklyn opens from the wall. In Staten Island, history is generally loved and appreciated; not far from the pier there is a whole block of antique shops and shops selling American and European antiquities.
The museum-reconstruction of the city of Richmond will help you get to know the life of the islanders in the 18th century. On a small area, several houses, a school, a shop, and offices have been collected and restored. Museum staff are dressed in costumes of that time, they are always ready to teach visitors their crafts. Festivals, fairs, holidays based on scenarios of real historical events are regularly held here.
Theater lovers are welcome to the 100-year-old St. George’s Theatre, where the world’s best troupes perform on tour. Modern fine arts are presented at the Museum of Science and Arts. Children will surely enjoy the small but interesting zoo. Admirers of Buddhism are attracted by the Jacques Marchais Center for Tibetan Art with the largest collection of cult objects, musical instruments, costumes and paintings of a lamaist temple in America.
Location: New York, Staten Island.
How to get there: Ferry or Verrazano Bridge from Brooklyn, Bayonne, Outerbridge Crossing, and Gotals Bridges from New Jersey.
The Frick Collection
Frick Collection (New York, USA) – expositions, opening hours, address, phone numbers, official website.
Private collection of old European masters (The Frick Collection): painting, sculpture, graphics, furniture, porcelain, enamel and carpets. Two rooms are dedicated to Boucher, one to Fragonard, and in the dining room to Gainsborough, Reynolds, Hogarth and Romney. And also: “Portrait of Pietro Aretino” by Titian, “Saint Francis in the Desert” by Giovanni Bellini, fresco by Piero della Francesca, portrait of Countess Louise d’Haussonville Ingres, three paintings by Vermeer, works by Van Eyck, Veronese, Bronzino, Tiepolo, El Greco, Velasquez, Goya, Rembrandt, Hals, Van Dyck, Turner, Whistler, Chardin, Corot, Renoir, Manet.
Address: 1 East 70th Street, Subway 6 68th St/Hunter College; tel.: (212) 288 07 70.
Opening hours: Tue-Sat 10:00-18:00, Sun 11:00-17:00. Entrance – 20 USD, students – 10 USD, Sun 11:00-13:00 payment at will.