According to Harvardshoes, Whitehouse, Texas is located in East Texas and is part of the Tyler metropolitan area. The city is characterized by rolling hills, thick pine forests, and a humid subtropical climate. In terms of its history, Whitehouse was founded in 1867 and was originally a small farming community. It has since grown to become a vibrant community with an estimated population of over 6,000 people.
In terms of politics, Whitehouse is part of Smith County and falls within the jurisdiction of the Smith County Commissioner’s Court. The city also has its own mayor who works alongside a five-member City Council to ensure the best interests of citizens are served.
The economy of Whitehouse is largely supported by small businesses, retail establishments, and local industry. There are also several large employers in the city such as Walmart, Lowe’s Home Improvement Center, and Tyler Junior College which provides jobs for many residents.
Schools in Whitehouse are managed by the Whitehouse Independent School District which serves over 4500 students in grades Pre-K through 12th grade. There are seven elementary schools located within the district as well as one middle school and one high school that serve students from all over Smith County.
Whitehouse offers many landmarks for visitors to explore including the historic downtown district which features many unique shops and restaurants as well as several museums such as the Whitehouse Museum & Heritage Center which showcases artifacts from early settlers in East Texas dating back to 1851. Other notable attractions include Old Town Park which features walking trails and recreational activities for visitors to enjoy or take part in special events throughout the year such as concerts or farmer’s markets.
Males: 2,560 (47.9%), Females: 2,786 (52.1%)
Zip code: 75791
Median resident age: 31.8 years
Median household income: $46,804
Median house value: $81,900
Races in Whitehouse:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.4%)
- Hispanic (4.0%)
- Black (2.5%)
- Other race (1.8%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Filipino (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (29.1%), Irish (16.0%), German (10.7%), English (8.7%), Scotch-Irish (4.5%), French (2.9%).
Land area: 3.8 square miles
Whitehouse, Texas is a small town located in East Texas with a population of approximately 8,000 people. The town is nestled in the piney woods and is home to many families and businesses. Whitehouse has a diverse population, with over 40% of the population being Hispanic or Latino. The median age of Whitehouse residents is 32 years old, and most households are made up of married couples with children. The majority of Whitehouse residents are employed in either retail or service-based industries such as hospitality and tourism. Education is also important to the community; there are several public schools within Whitehouse’s boundaries, as well as several private schools that offer quality education for students from pre-K through high school. Additionally, Tyler Junior College offers classes at its Whitehouse campus for those seeking higher education opportunities.
The Town of Whitehouse also has many recreational activities available for its citizens to enjoy year-round. With two public parks and several city-maintained trails, there are plenty of outdoor activities to partake in such as walking, biking, fishing and camping. There are also several restaurants and shops in the downtown area that offer unique dining experiences. Finally, each summer the town celebrates their annual “Whitehouse Days” event which includes parades, concerts and other festivities throughout the week leading up to July 4th weekend. This event brings people from all over East Texas together to celebrate the spirit of community that makes Whitehouse so special.
For population 25 years and over in Whitehouse
- High school or higher: 88.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 22.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.4%
- Unemployed: 2.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Whitehouse city
- Never married: 14.8%
- Now married: 68.8%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 4.2%
- Divorced: 11.0%
3.0% Foreign born (2.0% Latin America, 0.7% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Whitehouse:
- EAST TEXAS MED CTR REHAB HOSP (about 9 miles; TYLER, TX)
- EAST TEXAS MED CTR SPECIALTY HOSP (about 9 miles; TYLER, TX)
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER (about 9 miles; TYLER, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Whitehouse:
- TYLER POUNDS RGNL (about 16 miles; TYLER, TX; Abbreviation: TYR)
- EAST TEXAS RGNL (about 38 miles; LONGVIEW, TX; Abbreviation: GGG)
- SHREVEPORT REGIONAL (about 98 miles; SHREVEPORT, LA; Abbreviation: SHV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Whitehouse:
- TARRANT FIELD (about 11 miles; MOUNT SELMAN, TX; Abbreviation: 6X0)
- CHEROKEE COUNTY (about 25 miles; JACKSONVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: JSO)
- RUSK COUNTY (about 27 miles; HENDERSON, TX; Abbreviation: F12)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Whitehouse:
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT TYLER (about 9 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,433)
- TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 26 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,872)
- KILGORE COLLEGE (about 27 miles; KILGORE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,814)
- TRINITY VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 44 miles; ATHENS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,858)
- STEPHEN F AUSTIN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,217)
- ANGELINA COLLEGE (about 69 miles; LUFKIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,773)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-COMMERCE (about 85 miles; COMMERCE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,998)
Public high school in Whitehouse:
- WHITEHOUSE H S (Students: 1,205; Location: 901 E MAIN; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Whitehouse:
- CAIN EL (Students: 698; Location: 801 HWY 110 S; Grades: PK – 01)
- WHITEHOUSE JUNIOR HIGH (Students: 649; Location: 108 WILDCAT; Grades: 07 – 08)
- HOLLOWAY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 630; Location: 701 E MAIN; Grades: 05 – 06)
- HIGGINS INT (Students: 613; Location: 306 BASCOM RD; Grades: 03 – 04)
- BROWN EL (Students: 291; Location: 104 HWY 110 N; Grades: 02 – 02)
- WHITEHOUSE ISD – JJAEP (Students: 10; Location: 106 WILDCAT DR; Grades: KG – 12)
- WHITEHOUSE A E P (Location: 106 W WILDCAT DR; Grades: 04 – 12)
- CAMP TYLER (Location: 15143 CAMP TYLER RD; Grades: KG – 05)
Library in Whitehouse:
- WHITEHOUSE COMMUNITY LIBRARY (Operating income: $15,204; Location: 107 BASCOM RD; 22,565 books; 393 audio materials; 934 video materials; 3 serial subscriptions)