According to Ezinesports, Whitesboro, Texas is a small town with a population of 3,793, located in central Grayson County. The city is situated on the banks of the Red River and is bordered by Sherman to the south and Denison to the north. It has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Whitesboro dates back to 1846 when it was founded by William White, who built a farmhouse along the banks of the Red River. Since then, Whitesboro has grown into a thriving community with an economy based on agriculture, retail trade, manufacturing, healthcare and education. The city’s largest employer is Texoma Medical Center which provides healthcare services to more than 20 counties in North Texas.
Whitesboro is served by two school districts; Whitesboro Independent School District (WISD) and Howe Independent School District (HISD). WISD serves most of Whitesboro while HISD serves some parts of Whitesboro as well as other areas in Grayson County. Both school districts offer excellent educational opportunities for students from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade.
The city has several landmarks that attract visitors from all over Texas and beyond including White Park which was named after William White; Kelly Park which features a playground and picnic area; and Lake Texoma which is one of the largest reservoirs in the United States. Other attractions include historic downtown Whitesboro; shopping centers such as Market Street Mall; golf courses such as Sherman Country Club; museums such as Grayson County Historical Museum; parks such as Loy Lake Park; annual events like Red River Valley Fair; and much more!
Politically speaking, Whitesboro is represented at both federal and state levels by Republicans. At the federal level, U.S Congressman John Ratcliffe represents Texas’ 4th district while U.S Senator Ted Cruz represents Texas at large in Washington D.C.. At the state level, State Representative Larry Phillips represents District 62 while State Senator Bryan Hughes represents Senate District 1 both located in Grayson County where Whitesboro resides.
Population: 3,760. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,001 (+6.4% change)
Males: 1,749 (46.5%), Females: 2,011 (53.5%)
Zip code: 76273
Median resident age: 38.1 years
Median household income: $31,296
Median house value: $57,800
Races in Whitesboro:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.9%)
- Hispanic (3.0%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
- Other race (1.1%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
Ancestries: United States (25.0%), Irish (13.5%), German (13.3%), English (6.2%), Scotch-Irish (2.3%), Polish (1.9%).
Land area: 3.2 square miles
Whitesboro, Texas is located in Grayson County and has a population of 2,834 according to the 2010 census. The town is known for being a rural community and has a small town feel. The median age of the population is 39 years old and the median household income is $41,000. The majority of the population are Caucasian with a small percentage of African American, Hispanic, Asian, Native American and other ethnicities. There are also many families in Whitesboro with children under 18 years old making up 22% of the population. Education levels in Whitesboro are higher than state averages with 83% of adults having at least a high school diploma or equivalent. There are also many churches in Whitesboro representing many denominations including Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian and Assembly of God. There are also several private schools located in the town that serve students from preschool through 12th grade. The economy in Whitesboro mainly consists of agriculture and retail businesses as well as some manufacturing companies that operate within city limits. Residents enjoy a variety of recreational activities including fishing, hunting, camping and golfing at one of the two golf courses located nearby.
For population 25 years and over in Whitesboro
- High school or higher: 73.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.2%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Whitesboro city
- Never married: 20.0%
- Now married: 58.7%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 11.3%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +387 (+11.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Whitesboro:
- GAINESVILLE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; GAINESVILLE, TX)
- WILSON N JONES MEDICAL CENTER (about 17 miles; SHERMAN, TX)
- REGIONAL HOSPITAL OF TEXOMA (about 22 miles; SHERMAN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Whitesboro:
- DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL (about 55 miles; DALLAS-FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: DFW)
- FORT WORTH ALLIANCE (about 55 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: AFW)
- DALLAS LOVE FIELD (about 57 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: DAL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Whitesboro:
- SUDDEN STOP (about 7 miles; COLLINSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: T32)
- HAYESPORT (about 10 miles; COLLINSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: 2T4)
- CEDAR MILLS (about 15 miles; GORDONVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: 3T0)
Amtrak station near Whitesboro:
- 17 miles: GAINESVILLE (605 E. CALIFORNIA ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Whitesboro:
- NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE (about 17 miles; GAINESVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,018)
- GRAYSON COUNTY COLLEGE (about 24 miles; DENISON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,082)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS (about 33 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,673)
- TEXAS WOMAN’S UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,746)
- COLLIN COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL PARK (about 35 miles; MCKINNEY, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,514)
- SOUTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 44 miles; DURANT, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,165)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS (about 49 miles; RICHARDSON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,695)
Public high school in Whitesboro:
- WHITESBORO H S (Students: 493; Location: 1 BEARCAT DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Whitesboro:
- WHITESBORO MIDDLE (Students: 434; Location: 600 W FOURTH ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- HAYES PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 376; Location: 117 4TH ST; Grades: PK – 02)
- WHITESBORO INTERMEDIATE (Students: 306; Location: 211 COLLEGE; Grades: 03 – 05)
Library in Whitesboro:
- WHITESBORO PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $103,560; Location: 308 W MAIN ST; 25,216 books; 669 audio materials; 595 video materials; 15 serial subscriptions)