According to ask4beauty.com, Whitewright, Texas is a small town located in Grayson County, about an hour and a half northeast of Dallas. The city has an area of just over one square mile and a population of around 1,500 people. The climate in Whitewright is typical for the region, with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Whitewright dates back to 1872 when it was founded by the railroad company as a stop along their line. In the early 1900s, Whitewright became known for its cotton production and agricultural industry. This continued until the mid-20th century when many factories moved in and began producing furniture, clothing, and other goods.
Politically, Whitewright is part of Grayson County and votes primarily Republican. The economy is largely based on agriculture with some light manufacturing taking place as well. There are several small businesses in the city such as restaurants, shops, banks, and other services that help support the local economy.
Whitewright is served by two school districts: Whitewright Independent School District (ISD) which serves students from pre-kindergarten through grade twelve; and Tom Bean ISD which serves grades pre-kindergarten through eight. Both districts have high rankings according to the Texas Education Agency’s annual accountability ratings system for public schools.
The most notable landmark in Whitewright is the historic downtown square which was built in 1877 and still stands today as a reminder of the city’s rich history. Other attractions include Lake Fannin which offers fishing opportunities year round; Fannin Park which features walking trails; and Stribling Park which offers sports fields for various activities such as soccer or baseball games throughout the year.
Population: 1,740. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,780 (+2.3% change)
Males: 790 (45.4%), Females: 950 (54.6%)
Zip code: 75491
Median resident age: 38.9 years
Median household income: $33,194
Median house value: $57,200
Races in Whitewright:
- White Non-Hispanic (85.9%)
- Black (8.3%)
- Hispanic (2.6%)
- American Indian (1.9%)
- Two or more races (1.9%)
- Other race (0.9%)
- Other Asian (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (16.8%), English (10.2%), German (9.7%), Irish (7.9%), Scottish (2.2%), Italian (1.8%).
Elevation: 720 feet
Land area: 2.1 square miles
Whitewright, Texas is a small town located in Grayson County. It has a population of around 2,500 people, making it one of the smaller towns in the area. The majority of the population is white (90%), with other racial and ethnic groups making up the remaining 10%. The median age is 40 years old, with a fairly even split between males and females. The town’s economy is primarily based on agriculture, with many local businesses catering to this industry. There are also several restaurants, gas stations and other retail establishments in the area. Education is provided by Whitewright Independent School District which serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade. The town also has several churches for those looking for spiritual guidance or fellowship. Overall, Whitewright is a quiet community filled with friendly people who take pride in their small-town atmosphere and culture.
For population 25 years and over in Whitewright
- High school or higher: 74.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.9%
- Unemployed: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Whitewright town
- Never married: 17.1%
- Now married: 59.6%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 12.7%
0.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +22 (+1.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Whitewright:
- NORTHEAST MEDICAL CENTER (about 16 miles; BONHAM, TX)
- REGIONAL HOSPITAL OF TEXOMA (about 17 miles; SHERMAN, TX)
- WILSON N JONES MEMORIAL HOSP-NORTH CAM (about 17 miles; SHERMAN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Whitewright:
- DALLAS LOVE FIELD (about 57 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: DAL)
- DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL (about 62 miles; DALLAS-FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: DFW)
- COX FLD (about 66 miles; PARIS, TX; Abbreviation: PRX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Whitewright:
- SHERMAN MUNI (about 16 miles; SHERMAN, TX; Abbreviation: SWI)
- JONES FIELD (about 17 miles; BONHAM, TX; Abbreviation: F00)
- GRAYSON COUNTY (about 23 miles; SHERMAN/DENISON, TX; Abbreviation: GYI)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Whitewright:
- GRAYSON COUNTY COLLEGE (about 22 miles; DENISON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,082)
- COLLIN COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL PARK (about 29 miles; MCKINNEY, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,514)
- SOUTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; DURANT, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,165)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-COMMERCE (about 39 miles; COMMERCE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,998)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS (about 45 miles; RICHARDSON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,695)
- RICHLAND COLLEGE (about 48 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,352)
- EASTFIELD COLLEGE (about 51 miles; MESQUITE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,457)
Public high school in Whitewright:
- WHITEWRIGHT H S (Students: 252; Location: 311 HIGHLAND DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Whitewright:
- WHITEWRIGHT EL (Students: 347; Location: 311 HIGHLAND DR; Grades: PK – 05)
- WHITEWRIGHT MIDDLE (Students: 184; Location: 311 HIGHLAND DR; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Whitewright:
- WHITEWRIGHT PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $60,449; Location: 200 W GRAND ST; 21,463 books; 665 audio materials; 1,064 video materials; 14 serial subscriptions)