According to Electronicsmatter, Winnie, Texas is a small town located in the county of Chambers, near Galveston Bay. The city has a humid subtropical climate that is characterized by hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature in the summer months ranges from 78 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit, while winter temperatures range from 40 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
Winnie has a rich history, with its first settlers arriving in the late 19th century. It was founded by William A. Winnie, who named it after his wife, Winifred. Over time, Winnie grew into a prosperous town and became an important port for shipping oil and other goods.
Politically, Winnie is quite conservative with most of its citizens voting Republican in national elections. Economically, the city is largely dependent on oil production as well as fishing and tourism. There are several local businesses that provide goods and services to the citizens of Winnie as well as visitors from outside the area.
The schools in Winnie are served by the East Chambers Independent School District which includes four elementary schools and one high school located in nearby Stowell. The district also offers advanced placement courses for those students who wish to attend college after high school graduation.
There are numerous landmarks located throughout Winnie that attract visitors year-round including the historic Hotel Galvez which opened its doors during World War II; Fort Anahuac Park which offers an array of outdoor activities such as camping and fishing; and Seawolf Park which features a replica of an 1877 sailing vessel known as The Seawolf that sailed between Galveston Bay and San Diego Bay during World War II. Additionally, there are several museums dedicated to preserving local history such as the Chambers County Museum of Natural History & Science which displays artifacts from early Native American settlements around Winnie; the Heritage Museum which features exhibits on early settlers in the area; and the East Chambers County Historical Society Museum which houses artifacts related to local agriculture, industry, transportation, education and more.
Males: 1,470 (50.4%), Females: 1,444 (49.6%)
Zip code: 77665
Median resident age: 35.8 years
Median household income: $31,314
Median house value: $55,000
Races in Winnie:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.4%)
- Hispanic (10.1%)
- Other race (5.6%)
- Black (5.3%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (14.7%), French (9.8%), Irish (9.4%), German (6.0%), English (3.9%), French Canadian (3.5%).
Elevation: 27 feet
Land area: 4.0 square miles
Winnie, Texas is located in Chambers County, about 50 miles east of Houston. The population of Winnie is estimated to be around 2,500 people as of 2019. The majority of the population is white, making up nearly 73% of the population. African Americans make up around 15% and Hispanics make up 11%. The median age in Winnie is 38 years old and the median household income is $45,000.
The cost of living in Winnie is low compared to the rest of the country, which helps to attract new residents looking for an affordable place to live. The unemployment rate in Winnie has also been on a steady decline over the last few years as businesses have continued to move into the area. With a variety of job opportunities available, many people have chosen to call Winnie home. In addition to being a great place for employment, Winnie has plenty of entertainment options such as restaurants and parks that are popular among both young and old alike.
The education system in Winnie serves approximately 1,400 students at its two public schools: Mary E. Miller Elementary School and Barbers Hill High School. Both schools are highly rated and offer students an excellent education that prepares them for college or career paths after graduation. There are also several private schools that offer alternative educational options for families who prefer them.
For population 25 years and over in Winnie
- High school or higher: 64.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 6.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Winnie CDP
- Never married: 15.6%
- Now married: 60.5%
- Separated: 5.2%
- Widowed: 9.5%
- Divorced: 9.2%
7.2% Foreign born (6.5% Latin America).
Hospital/medical center in Winnie:
- WINNIE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (538 BROADWAY)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Winnie:
- BAYSIDE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; ANAHUAC, TX)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; BEAUMONT, TX)
- CHRISTUS ST ELIZABETH HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; BEAUMONT, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Winnie:
- SOUTHEAST TEXAS REGIONAL (about 27 miles; BEAUMONT/PORT ARTHUR, TX; Abbreviation: BPT)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 56 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 63 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
Other public-use airports nearest to Winnie:
- CHAMBERS COUNTY-WINNIE STOWELL (about 3 miles; WINNIE/STOWELL, TX; Abbreviation: T90)
- CHAMBERS COUNTY (about 19 miles; ANAHUAC, TX; Abbreviation: T00)
- BEAUMONT MUNI (about 22 miles; BEAUMONT, TX; Abbreviation: BMT)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Winnie:
- LAMAR UNIVERSITY-BEAUMONT (about 23 miles; BEAUMONT, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,888)
- LEE COLLEGE (about 40 miles; BAYTOWN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,099)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-CLEAR LAKE (about 53 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,735)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-CENTRAL CAMPUS (about 55 miles; PASADENA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,102)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-NORTH CAMPUS (about 55 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,819)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-SOUTH CAMPUS (about 61 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,513)
- ALVIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 66 miles; ALVIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,094)
Public high school in Winnie:
- EAST CHAMBERS H S (Students: 321; Location: 234 E BUCCANEER DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Winnie:
- EAST CHAMBERS ELEMENTARY (Students: 494; Location: 316 E FEAR RD; Grades: PK – 04)
- EAST CHAMBERS J H (Students: 195; Location: 1931 STATE HWY 124; Grades: 07 – 08)
- EAST CHAMBERS INTERMEDIATE (Students: 177; Location: 213 SCHOOL RD; Grades: 05 – 06)