According to topschoolsintheusa.com, Woodville is a small city located in the state of Texas. It is situated in Tyler County and has a population of 1,845 people according to the 2020 census. Geographically, Woodville is located in East Texas and is part of the Piney Woods region. The topography of the area consists mostly of rolling hills and pine forests with few lakes and rivers. The climate in Woodville is typically humid subtropical with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Woodville dates back to the early 19th century when it was founded by settlers from Virginia and North Carolina who were looking for a place to call home. The city was incorporated in 1888 but its growth remained slow until after World War II when it began to experience some growth due to its proximity to Houston and other larger cities.
Politically, Woodville is governed by a mayor-council form of government with seven council members elected at-large for two-year terms. The current mayor is David Jones who was elected in 2020.
Economically, Woodville relies heavily on the timber industry as well as agriculture, oil production, and small businesses. There are also several retail stores located throughout the city that attract visitors from nearby towns and cities.
Schools in Woodville are managed by Tyler County Independent School District which includes two elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, plus several private schools offering specialized academic programs such as music or art classes.
Some of the most notable landmarks in Woodville include Lake Tejas which offers recreational activities such as fishing and canoeing; historic downtown area which features old buildings that have been restored; and Sam Rayburn Reservoir which offers outdoor activities such as camping, boating, swimming, fishing and more.
Population: 2,415. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,313 (-4.2% change)
Males: 1,054 (43.6%), Females: 1,361 (56.4%)
Zip codes: 75979.
Median resident age: 41.4 years
Median household income: $23,711
Median house value: $58,200
Races in Woodville:
- White Non-Hispanic (64.9%)
- Black (31.8%)
- Hispanic (1.4%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Other race (0.9%)
Ancestries: United States (9.3%), English (6.4%), Irish (6.0%), German (5.5%), French (4.6%), Scotch-Irish (4.0%).
Land area: 3.2 square miles
Woodville, Texas is a small rural town located in Tyler County, approximately 100 miles north of Houston. With an estimated population of 2,400 people as of 2019, Woodville remains a close-knit community. The population is predominantly white and Christian, with a few African American and Hispanic families living in the area. The median age is 37 years old, with slightly more women than men. Woodville has a low unemployment rate and most residents work in the local oil industry or commute to nearby larger towns for employment opportunities. The town also has many small businesses such as restaurants and retail stores that serve the local community. Residents take pride in their small-town lifestyle and enjoy participating in events such as the annual Watermelon Festival which draws visitors from all over the state. Education is highly valued by residents, with many having graduated from nearby colleges or universities. There are also several elementary schools located within Woodville city limits to provide quality education for younger students. Overall, Woodville is a great place to live with its friendly people and tight-knit community atmosphere offering plenty of opportunities for both work and leisure activities.
For population 25 years and over in Woodville
- High school or higher: 73.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.7%
- Unemployed: 7.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Woodville town
- Never married: 18.5%
- Now married: 50.6%
- Separated: 4.5%
- Widowed: 17.0%
- Divorced: 9.5%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -268 (-10.0%).
Hospital/medical center in Woodville:
- TYLER COUNTY HOSPITAL (1100 WEST BLUFF)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Woodville:
- CHRISTUS JASPER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; JASPER, TX)
- DICKERSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; JASPER, TX)
- MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER LIVINGSTON (about 34 miles; LIVINGSTON, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Woodville:
- SOUTHEAST TEXAS REGIONAL (about 64 miles; BEAUMONT/PORT ARTHUR, TX; Abbreviation: BPT)
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 85 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
- POLK AAF (about 88 miles; FORT POLK, LA; Abbreviation: POE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Woodville:
- TYLER COUNTY (about 3 miles; WOODVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: 09R)
- JASPER COUNTY-BELL FIELD (about 28 miles; JASPER, TX; Abbreviation: JAS)
- HAWTHORNE FIELD (about 33 miles; KOUNTZE/SILSBEE, TX; Abbreviation: 45R)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Woodville:
- TYLER COUNTY HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF NURSING (Location: 1100 W BLUFF; Private, not-for-profit; Website: email@example.com)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Woodville:
- ANGELINA COLLEGE (about 46 miles; LUFKIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,773)
- LAMAR UNIVERSITY-BEAUMONT (about 57 miles; BEAUMONT, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,888)
- STEPHEN F AUSTIN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 65 miles; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,217)
- SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 79 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,429)
- LEE COLLEGE (about 80 miles; BAYTOWN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,099)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-NORTH CAMPUS (about 84 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,819)
- MCNEESE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 84 miles; LAKE CHARLES, LA; Full-time enrollment: 6,460)
Public high school in Woodville:
- WOODVILLE H S (Students: 359; Location: 505 N CHARLTON ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Woodville:
- WOODVILLE MIDDLE (Students: 344; Location: 505 N CHARLTON ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- WOODVILLE EL (Students: 333; Location: 505 N CHARLTON ST; Grades: PK – 02)
- WOODVILLE INT (Students: 302; Location: 505 N CHARLTON ST; Grades: 03 – 05)
Library in Woodville:
- ALLAN SHIVERS LIBRARY & MUSEUM (Operating income: $135,815; Location: 302 N CHARLTON ST; 33,180 books; 1,574 video materials; 64 serial subscriptions)