According to TOPSCHOOLSINTHEUSA, Woodway, Texas is located in Central Texas, approximately 20 miles north of Waco. It is a small town with a population of just over 8,000 people. It has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The town was founded in 1854 when James Woodway donated the land for the first post office.
The political climate of Woodway is largely conservative and the economy is primarily driven by agriculture and small businesses. There are several schools in the area including an elementary school, middle school, high school, and community college.
There are also several landmarks worth visiting such as the historic Woodway Town Hall which was built in 1910 and served as a courthouse until 1940 when it was converted into a town hall. The Woodway Public Library, which opened in 1925, houses many original documents from the early days of the town’s history. There is also an old church that dates back to 1887 which still has services every Sunday morning.
For those looking to experience nature there are plenty of places to explore such as Lake Waco where visitors can enjoy fishing and hiking trails along its banks. The nearby Cameron Park Zoo offers visitors an opportunity to learn about exotic wildlife while being surrounded by lush greenery and beautiful gardens.
Woodway is a small town with a big heart and plenty of attractions for visitors to explore. With its historic buildings, natural beauty, and friendly locals, it is the perfect place to enjoy a peaceful getaway.
Population: 8,733. Estimated population in July 2020: 8,689 (-0.5% change)
Males: 4,312 (49.4%), Females: 4,421 (50.6%)
Zip code: 76712
Median resident age: 44.5 years
Median household income: $70,139
Median house value: $132,700
Races in Woodway:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.3%)
- Hispanic (3.8%)
- Black (2.2%)
- Other race (1.1%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
Ancestries: English (20.2%), German (17.0%), Irish (14.8%), United States (9.4%), Scotch-Irish (4.4%), Scottish (4.2%).
Land area: 6.6 square miles
Woodway, Texas is a small town located in McLennan County in Central Texas. As of the 2019 census, the population of Woodway was estimated to be around 10,700 people. The median age of residents in Woodway is 38 years old, and the gender ratio is nearly even with males making up 49.6% of the population and females making up 50.4%. The racial makeup of Woodway is predominantly White at 81.1%, followed by Hispanic or Latino at 11%, African American at 5%, Asian at 1.2%, and other races accounting for 2%.
Woodway also has a high percentage of married couples, with 63% being married couples living together compared to 37% who are single or have never been married. In terms of education level, 97% of Woodway’s population have received a high school diploma or higher. Around 26% hold a bachelor’s degree or higher, while 8% have completed some college but have not earned a degree yet. In terms of employment, the majority (63%) are employed full-time while 22% are employed part-time and 13% are unemployed but looking for work. The median household income in Woodway is $68,841 with 6% living below poverty level; however this number is lower than the national average.
For population 25 years and over in Woodway
- High school or higher: 97.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 51.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 21.2%
- Unemployed: 1.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Woodway city
- Never married: 15.2%
- Now married: 74.8%
- Separated: 0.3%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 4.5%
2.4% Foreign born (1.3% Asia, 0.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +216 (+2.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Woodway:
- PROVIDENCE HEALTH CENTER (about 2 miles; WACO, TX)
- HILLCREST BAPTIST MEDICAL CENTER (about 7 miles; WACO, TX)
- DE PAUL CENTER (about 7 miles; WACO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Woodway:
- WACO REGIONAL (about 7 miles; WACO, TX; Abbreviation: ACT)
- DRAUGHON-MILLER CENTRAL TEXAS REGIONAL (about 28 miles; TEMPLE, TX; Abbreviation: TPL)
- KILLEEN MUNI (about 43 miles; KILLEEN, TX; Abbreviation: ILE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Woodway:
- MC GREGOR EXECUTIVE (about 6 miles; WACO, TX; Abbreviation: PWG)
- TSTC WACO (about 15 miles; WACO, TX; Abbreviation: CNW)
- WILDCAT CANYON (about 15 miles; CHINA SPRING, TX; Abbreviation: 3T8)
Amtrak station near Woodway:
- 14 miles: MCGREGOR (1 AMTRAK BLVD.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Woodway:
- MCLENNAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 7 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,658)
- BAYLOR UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,183)
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-WACO (about 12 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,218)
- TEMPLE COLLEGE (about 30 miles; TEMPLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,054)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY HARDIN-BAYLOR (about 35 miles; BELTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,257)
- CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE (about 49 miles; KILLEEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,777)
- NAVARRO COLLEGE (about 67 miles; CORSICANA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,842)