Wroclaw, Poland Cityscape

According to mathgeneral, Breslau (Polish Wrocław), is a city ​​in Poland, on both sides of the Oder in Silesia, with (2018) 640 600 residents. The city, rebuilt after its destruction in World War II, is the cultural, scientific and economic center of Silesia with several universities and colleges, museums and theaters. The economy is characterized by a diverse industry. Wroclaw is an important commercial and financial center and a popular travel destination. Most of the art-historically significant buildings have been restored or reconstructed, such as the town hall (end of the 13th to 16th centuries) with the town houses on the surrounding Ringplatz and the cathedral (13th to 15th centuries) on the cathedral island.

The German city of Breslau, founded in the 13th century, fell to Bohemia in 1335, the Habsburgs in 1526, and Prussia in 1742; she has been Polish since 1945.

Cityscape

Most of the art-historically significant buildings have been restored, reconstructed or their remains have been preserved; (including the Elector’s Chapel by J. B. Fischer von Erlach) and modern colored glass windows by T. Wojciechowski. The Bishop’s Palace, baroque-classical by C. G. Langhans and C. G. Geissler (1791 ff.), Is now the Archdiocesan Museum. Baroque canons’ houses. Late Romanesque church of St. Aegidius (early 13th century); former castle church Sankt Martin (originally rebuilt before 1243, in the 13th – 14th centuries and 1571); late Gothic church of St. Peter and Paul (15th century); Collegiate Church of the Holy Cross, a three-aisled, two-story hall church (13th and 14th centuries).

The former Augustinian monastery is “on the sand”; his church Sankt Maria auf dem Sande (1334–1425 on the site of a previous building from the 12th century) was largely reconstructed and restored after 1945 (including colored glass windows by T. Reklewska, 1966); in the monastery buildings (1709–30, with Gothic remains) part of the university library. Augustinian convent (founded before 1299) with the Church of St. Anna (formerly St. Jacob), built 1686–91, burned out in 1945, remains are secured.

In the old and new town: Parish church Sankt Maria Magdalena from the 13th and 14th centuries (chapels around 1400, towers completed in 1488, on the south side Romanesque step portal from the former Benedictine monastery on the Elbing north of the cathedral island); Parish Church of St. Elisabeth (13th / 14th century, tower completed in 1458), burned out in 1976 and restored until 1988, with grave monuments from the Renaissance and Baroque periods; Jesuit college and church (1689–98) with frescoes, among others. by J. M. Rottmayr are now part of the university. There are also: Parish Church of St. Vincent (former Franciscan Church of St. Jacob), begun in the early Gothic; Dominican monastery with St. Adalbert’s church (from 1226, rebuilt from 1260 after a fire, raised in the late Gothic style and newly vaulted); Augustinian Church of St. Dorothea and Stanisław (14th / 15th century, rebuilt after a fire in the 18th century); Churches and convents of several religious knightly orders; Calvinist Church (1747–50) by J. Boumann the Younger. The old town hall (mid-13th to early 16th century) now houses the Historical Museum and the Museum of Medal Art. After 1945, the library Ossolineum von Lemberg, founded in 1817, was relocated to the baroque building of the former Matthias monastery. Numerous palaces and town houses from the 17th to 19th centuries, especially on Ringplatz, have been rebuilt. The adjoining salt market is dominated by the neo-classical stock exchange by C. F. Langhans (1822–24). The Centennial Hall (1911–13; UNESCO World Heritage Site) by M. Berg is an early reinforced concrete structure. With a dome span of 65 m, it was the world’s largest hall of its kind at the time of its completion. To the south is the Sky Tower (completed in 2012), the tallest building in the city at 212 m.

In the National Museum a. important collections of sculptures (especially late Gothic), paintings (especially baroque), handicrafts, hand drawings and prints.

Wroclaw, Poland Cityscape