According to Topschoolsintheusa, Yantis, Texas is a small town located in Wood County. It is nestled within the Piney Woods of East Texas, just north of Lake Fork Reservoir. The climate in Yantis is generally mild, with hot summers and cool winters. The town was founded in 1871 by William Yantis and has a rich history of early settlers, native Americans, and ranching. Politically, Yantis is part of Wood County and the state of Texas. It is served by the Wood County Commissioners Court and its representatives in the state legislature.
The economy of Yantis primarily relies on agriculture and tourism. There are several large farms located within the city limits as well as numerous recreational activities offered by Lake Fork Reservoir. In addition to farming and tourism, there are also several small businesses located in downtown Yantis which help to support the local economy.
In terms of education, there are several public schools located within Yantis including Yantis Elementary School, Yantis Middle School and High School as well as a private Christian school called Covenant Academy. These schools offer a variety educational opportunities for students ranging from pre-kindergarten all the way up to high school seniors looking to further their education after graduation.
As for landmarks, some popular attractions include Camp Tonkawa Springs Park which offers camping sites for visitors as well as fishing spots along Lake Fork Reservoir; The Old Stone Church which was built in 1878 by early settlers; The Historic Alamo Theatre where visitors can catch a movie or attend live events; And lastly The Old West Museum which houses artifacts from the early settlers that lived in this area over 100 years ago!
Population: 321. Estimated population in July 2020: 359 (+11.8% change)
Males: 141 (43.9%), Females: 180 (56.1%)
Zip code: 75497
Median resident age: 40.1 years
Median household income: $28,214
Median house value: $63,800
Races in Yantis:
- White Non-Hispanic (87.9%)
- Hispanic (9.0%)
- Two or more races (2.8%)
- Other race (1.6%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (30.5%), Irish (9.3%), German (9.0%), English (5.3%), Scottish (2.2%), French Canadian (1.9%).
Land area: 1.9 square miles
Yantis, Texas is a small rural community located in Wood County in the northeast corner of the state. It has a population of approximately 1,200 people according to the 2010 census. The majority of residents are white (90%) with a small minority Hispanic population (7%). The median household income is $37,000, which is slightly below the state average. The town has a small business district with a few restaurants and shops, and it is home to several churches. Yantis also has an active volunteer fire department and an ambulance service. Education in Yantis is provided by the Yantis Independent School District which consists of one elementary school and one high school. The elementary school serves pre-kindergarten through sixth grade while the high school serves grades seven through twelve. Yantis also has a public library that provides resources for both students and adults alike. In addition to these services, there are several parks within the town limits; these provide recreational opportunities for children and adults alike.
For population 25 years and over in Yantis
- High school or higher: 62.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.8%
- Unemployed: 9.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Yantis town
- Never married: 19.1%
- Now married: 53.3%
- Separated: 4.4%
- Widowed: 14.0%
- Divorced: 9.2%
8.1% Foreign born (8.1% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +111 (+52.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Yantis:
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER QUITMAN (about 13 miles; QUITMAN, TX)
- HOPKINS COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; SULPHUR SPRINGS, TX)
- PRESBYTERIAN HOSPITAL OF WINNSBORO (about 21 miles; WINNSBORO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Yantis:
- TYLER POUNDS RGNL (about 42 miles; TYLER, TX; Abbreviation: TYR)
- COX FLD (about 49 miles; PARIS, TX; Abbreviation: PRX)
- EAST TEXAS RGNL (about 72 miles; LONGVIEW, TX; Abbreviation: GGG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Yantis:
- WOOD COUNTY (about 16 miles; MINEOLA/QUITMAN, TX; Abbreviation: 3T1)
- SULPHUR SPRINGS MUNI (about 16 miles; SULPHUR SPRINGS, TX; Abbreviation: SLR)
- MINEOLA WISENER FIELD (about 19 miles; MINEOLA, TX; Abbreviation: 3F9)
Amtrak station near Yantis:
- 20 miles: MINEOLA (115 E. FRONT ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, intercity bus service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Yantis:
- TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 30 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,872)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-COMMERCE (about 32 miles; COMMERCE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,998)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT TYLER (about 46 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,433)
- TRINITY VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 55 miles; ATHENS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,858)
- KILGORE COLLEGE (about 62 miles; KILGORE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,814)
- EASTFIELD COLLEGE (about 74 miles; MESQUITE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,457)
- COLLIN COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL PARK (about 79 miles; MCKINNEY, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,514)
Public primary/middle schools in Yantis:
- YANTIS SCHOOL (Students: 213; Location: 105 W OAK ST; Grades: 06 – 12)
- YANTIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 170; Location: 105 W OAK; Grades: PK – 05)