According to Allcitycodes, Zavalla, Texas is located in the eastern region of the state and is part of Angelina County. The city has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. Zavalla was first settled in the 1840s by a group of pioneers from Louisiana, who were attracted by the abundant timber resources. The city was officially incorporated in 1882 and has since grown to a population of around 1,900 people.
Politically, Zavalla is considered a strongly Republican-leaning town, with most of its residents voting for conservative candidates in local and national elections. The economy is mainly based on agriculture and timber production, though there are several small businesses in town as well. There are two primary schools located within the city limits; Zavalla Elementary School and Zavalla High School.
As far as landmarks go, Zavalla boasts several notable attractions including Andy’s Lake Recreation Area, which features fishing and camping opportunities; the historic Angelina County Courthouse; and Sam Rayburn Reservoir, which provides ample water recreation opportunities for visitors to enjoy. In addition to these attractions, there are also numerous parks throughout town where locals can relax or take part in various activities such as biking or jogging trails.
Population: 647. Estimated population in July 2020: 656 (+1.4% change)
Males: 302 (46.7%), Females: 345 (53.3%)
Zip code: 75980
Median resident age: 36.3 years
Median household income: $21,806
Median house value: $40,700
Races in Zavalla:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.3%)
- Hispanic (2.0%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (26.4%), Irish (13.4%), French (8.5%), German (3.7%), English (3.6%), Scotch-Irish (2.6%).
Elevation: 222 feet
Land area: 2.1 square miles
Zavalla, Texas is a small town in Angelina County with a population of approximately 1,100 people. The majority of the population is White, making up about 82% of the population. African Americans make up about 10%, Hispanic/Latinos make up 5%, and Asian/Pacific Islanders account for 2%. The remaining 1% is made up of Native American, Alaska Native, and other races.
The median age in Zavalla is 38 years old with the largest age group being 25 to 34 years old at 24%. This is followed by 35 to 44 year olds at 20%, 45 to 54 year olds at 18%, and 55 to 64 year olds at 15%. There are very few children under 18 in Zavalla making up only 14% of the population. The overall gender makeup of Zavalla is almost evenly split with 50.8% male and 49.2% female.
In terms of education, only 8% of residents have a college degree or higher while 27% have some college education and 39% have graduated high school or obtained their GED certificate. 22% have not completed high school. The median household income in Zavalla is $41,047 with 20% living below poverty level.
The town has an active Chamber of Commerce that works to promote economic growth while preserving the traditional values and culture that are found within Zavalla today. They also work hard to ensure that everyone has access to quality healthcare, education and job opportunities so that all members of the community can thrive together as one cohesive unit.
For population 25 years and over in Zavalla
- High school or higher: 61.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 11.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Zavalla city
- Never married: 14.2%
- Now married: 54.3%
- Separated: 4.7%
- Widowed: 12.8%
- Divorced: 14.2%
0.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -50 (-7.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Zavalla:
- MEMORIAL MED CENTER OF EAST TEXAS (about 23 miles; LUFKIN, TX)
- MEMORIAL SPECIALTY HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; LUFKIN, TX)
- TYLER COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; WOODVILLE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Zavalla:
- POLK AAF (about 86 miles; FORT POLK, LA; Abbreviation: POE)
- EAST TEXAS RGNL (about 87 miles; LONGVIEW, TX; Abbreviation: GGG)
- SOUTHEAST TEXAS REGIONAL (about 88 miles; BEAUMONT/PORT ARTHUR, TX; Abbreviation: BPT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Zavalla:
- ANGELINA COUNTY (about 24 miles; LUFKIN, TX; Abbreviation: LFK)
- TYLER COUNTY (about 27 miles; WOODVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: 09R)
- SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY (about 32 miles; SAN AUGUSTINE, TX; Abbreviation: 78R)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Zavalla:
- ANGELINA COLLEGE (about 27 miles; LUFKIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,773)
- STEPHEN F AUSTIN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,217)
- LAMAR UNIVERSITY-BEAUMONT (about 82 miles; BEAUMONT, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,888)
- SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 84 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,429)
- KILGORE COLLEGE (about 91 miles; KILGORE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,814)
- MCNEESE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 98 miles; LAKE CHARLES, LA; Full-time enrollment: 6,460)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY-SHREVEPORT (about 99 miles; SHREVEPORT, LA; Full-time enrollment: 3,059)
Public primary/middle schools in Zavalla:
- ZAVALLA EL (Students: 222; Location: HWY 63; Grades: PK – 05)
- ZAVALLA H S (Students: 203; Location: HWY 63; Grades: 06 – 12)